Huawei P20

Phones, watches and more
Bellasdaddy

Huawei P20

Post by Bellasdaddy »

Hey Andy.

Great site and YouTube vids.

Interested in your thoughts on the new Huawei P20 mobile phone.
The camera on the phone has caught my attention and with myself looking to upgrade from a S6 edge, Carphone warehouse are throwing in free Bose® QC 35 II headphones too for pre orders currently.
AndyCr15
Site Admin

Re: Huawei P20

Post by AndyCr15 »

Hi, thanks for the comments.

I've heard a lot of good things about the camera on the P20 Pro, I'm not so sure about the 'regular' P20.

A quick look on Dx0 shows the Pro is better, but the regular is still better than everything else.
  • Huawei P20 Pro - 109
  • Huawei P20 - 102
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus - 99
  • Google Pixel 2 - 98
  • Apple iPhone X - 97
  • Huawei Mate 10 Pro - 97
According to them, the Pro really is out in front of the competition. I guess it depends if that's worth the £200 more over the regular.

Considering how great I know the Pixel 2 camera is, even the regular is going to be pretty fantastic.

Then there's the free Bose QC 31ii's which I know to be great for listening to music with.

If you do it, let me know how you get on!
Android Andy UK - Gadgets, tech and more, on YouTube
Bellasdaddy

Post by Bellasdaddy »

Thanks for the link Andy, interesting reading. Going to hold off and go onto SIM only deal for 6 months or so. Bit of life yet in the S6 edge and see lie of the land then when the monthly prices have dropped on both the p20 pro and Samsung S9 hopefully.
Rich654

Post by Rich654 »

I've decided to take the plunge and get a p20 pro. After selling my pixel 2 XL for the s9+ I'll be glad to see the back of the s9+.
AndyCr15
Site Admin

Post by AndyCr15 »

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I've literally just picked up a second hand P20 Lite, so will be testing that over the next few days.
Rich654

Post by Rich654 »

I'll definitely let you know...

I'll be picking up a pixel 3 XL later in the year regardless. But I do like phones that are a bit different.
Bellasdaddy

Post by Bellasdaddy »

I went for the Galaxy S9 in the end. £23 per month on Vodafone sealed the deal. Interested why you were glad to see the back of the Galaxy S9+?
Rich654

Post by Rich654 »

Predominantly the battery life..

But there are several other factors.

1. I'm already seeing noticeable lag
2. I can't use the screen in qhd otherwise the battery can be measured in minutes
3. I have a real dislike for Samsung fanboys
4. I really just don't like the phone.

They may seem petty, but I might as well get rid whilst I can still get £500-600 for it.
Rich654

Post by Rich654 »

I've gotta be honest after watching Andy's unboxing of the p20 lite emui looks a right mess of a skin.

I thought Samsung experience... Touchwiz was bad, but emui reminds me of Samung in the S3/S4 era. I'm starting to question whether I actually want one or not.

Looking past the camera which isn't that much of an issue to me, is it worth me paying out again for something I don't think I'll be 100% happy with.

I also keep finding myself wanting another pixel. I miss stock android and wonder should I get the one plus 6 for a few months and then get the pixel 3 XL.
AndyCr15
Site Admin

Post by AndyCr15 »

I'd love to have a play with a OnePlus 6. Another one I wondered about ordering. It does look a good phone.